Saturday, January 17, 2009

Turn Your Lens Around

Many people in my PLN have been participating in a 365 photo challenge by posting a picture a day in 2009. (View more 365 photos at the EdTech 365/2009 Flickr group.) In that spirit, I thought I would pass on a little trick I learned from a photography teacher. If you have an SLR camera (one that has removable lenses), turn your lens around and see what happens. What you get are close up (macro) pictures with a very shallow depth of field. (The aperture is zero in fact.) I snapped a few today of things I found around the house for my photo a day posting. I haven't tried it, but I think you may be able to take a lens, turn it around backwards in front of a regular point and shoot camera and get the same effect. If anyone tries it, let me know. This is a good way to take close up pictures of things related to curriculum and then have students guess what they are. It could be an intro or concluding activity for a unit. Can you guess what my pictures are?

Maybe we need to do this in our classrooms as well. Turn things around to view them from a different perspective. Look closer and see what is there.







3 comments:

Grace Kat said...

What a great idea. I don't have an SLR camera but I will try taking photos of parts of objects to use in class. Thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

Heather said...

I'm glad you found it useful @gkat! Many digital point and shoot cameras have a macro setting you can use to zoom really close too. Check your settings.

Anonymous said...

It is a great idea. Whenever we do a project that I have never done before I always do it with the kids. Gives me a good idea of whether the due dates were appropriate, resources were appropriate, or even if it is simply just too boring. I figure if I wouldn't want to do it, why in the world would they?